Regional Employment Visas
Notice – The details of this scheme have been changed in April 2017. We will update this page as more details come to hand.
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Visa
If you have an employer willing to sponsor you to work in regional Australia, you may be eligible for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Visa that will enable you to permanently live and work in regional Australia. Regional Australia means anywhere in Australia except the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne.
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Subclass 187 Visa is for skilled workers who want to permanently live and work in regional Australia. It is part of the Permanent Employer Sponsored Program.
This visa has three streams:
- Temporary Residence Transition stream – for Subclass 457 Visa holders who have worked for their employer for at least the last two years in the same occupation and the employer wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
- Direct Entry stream – for applicants who have never or only briefly worked in Australia.
- Agreement stream – for applicants with a Subclass 457 Visa who are being sponsored by an employer through a labour or regional migration agreement.
To apply for this visa, you must:
- be nominated by an approved Australian Employer for a job in regional Australia, meaning anywhere in Australia except the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne.
- be younger than 50 years of age;
- meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements
There are some exemptions relating to age, skills and English language ability. These exemptions depend on your nominated occupation, salary and past work experience.
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Subclass 187 Visa
- Permanent Residency: Yes
- Employer Sponsored: Yes
- Age Limit: Younger than 50
- Skill requirements: Yes
- English Requirements: Yes
- Apply: Inside or Outside Australia