Skilled Visas








Notice – The details of this scheme have been changed in April 2017.  We will update this page as more details come to hand.


Skilled Migration Visas

If you don’t have an employer willing to sponsor you to work in Australia, but you have specific skills that are in demand in Australia there are visa options available.

You may be eligible for a visa under the General Skilled Migration Scheme (GSM) or other Temporary skilled visas that will enable you to temporarily or permanently live and work in Australia.

General Skilled Migration Scheme (GSM) Visas

The General Skilled Migration (GSM) program is for migrants who are not sponsored by employers and who have skills in particular occupations and other attributes that will contribute to the Australian economy.

Applicants may:

  • Apply Independently;
  • Be nominated by a state/ territory government; or
  • Be sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia.

Skilled workers and business people interested in migrating to Australia are able to record their details for a skilled visa through an Expression of Interest via the online SkillSelect service.

If you want to migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant and you have the skills Australia needs, you will need to undergo a 3 stage process:

Stage 1: Expression of Interest

First you must submit an Expression of Interest to SkillSelect including information about your qualifications, experience and English language ability;

Stage 2: Invitation

If your expression of interest is approved, you will receive an invitation from the Immigration Minister to make a visa application or are nominated/sponsored by an Australian employer;

Stage 3: Application

After you have received your invitation, you can apply for one of the following visa Subclasses: Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189), Skilled Nominated visa (Subclass 190), or Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489).


Skilled Independent Skilled Visa (Subclass 189)

This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member, or nominated by a state or territory government.


Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)

This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory government agency.

Subclass 189 and 190 Visas are permanent visas allowing you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident and require you to:


  • have a letter of invitation from the Immigration Department; and
  • have nominated an occupation that is on the relevant Skilled Occupations List; and
  • have obtained a suitable skills assessment for that nominated occupation;
  • not have yet turned 50 years of age; and
  • have achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test; and
  • have at least “competent” English.

Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 489)

This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in specified regional areas of Australia for up to 4 years via either:

  • Invited Pathway – you need to submit an Expression of Interest;
  • Extended Stay Pathway – you need to apply for a Skilled Regional (Provisional) (Subclass 489) visa; or
  • Family member/s of someone who already holds a Subclass 489, 475, 495 or 496 Visa – you need to apply for a Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subsequent Entrant (Subclass 489) Visa.

A Subclass 489 Visa is a provisional/temporary visa with similar requirements as Subclass 189 and 190 Visas, plus also requiring you to have been nominated by either:

  • an Australian State/Territory government agency; or
  • an eligible relative living in the designated regional area.


Other Temporary Skilled Visas








Temporary Skilled Visas

If you are not eligible for General Skilled Migration Scheme Visa, there are other options for approval to temporarily work in Australia.

  • Temporary Work (Skilled) Subclass 457
  • Temporary Skilled Graduate Subclass 485

Temporary Work (Skilled) Subclass 457 Visa

The Temporary Work (Skilled) Subclass 457 Visa is for skilled workers from outside Australia who have been sponsored and nominated by a business to work in Australia on a temporary basis.

A business can sponsor a skilled worker if they cannot find an appropriately skilled Australian citizen or permanent resident to fill a skilled position listed in the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List (CSOL).

This visa allows a business to employ someone from outside Australia in a skilled job in Australia.

If you hold this visa, you can:

  • work in Australia for up to four years;
  • bring your family with you;
  • travel in and out of Australia as often as you want.

You can apply for this visa if you:

  • are sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated skilled position;
  • have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background. that match those required for the position;
  • have demonstrated your English language ability;
  • are eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position;
  • have health insurance.

Temporary Skilled Graduate Subclass 485 Visa

The Temporary Skilled Graduate Subclass 485 Visa lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies.

This visa has two streams:

  • Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.
  • Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant’s qualification.

Requirements include that you must be:

  • Younger than 50 years of age.
  • In Australia and hold an eligible visa.
  • Meet the 2-year Australian study requirement.
  • Have at least “competent” English 6,6,6,6 or English as required for your Occupation/Skills Assessment requirement.
  • Have recently graduated with wither an eligible qualification or with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

If you are interested in applying for this visa, contact Bruce Kimball Migration Services at least 3 months before you complete your studies to meet the ‘time of application’ requirements for this visa.

You will also need to apply for a Skills Assessment in your Nominated Occupation and apply for an Australian Federal Police Clearance certificate.

Contact Us for Advice On Applying for a Skilled Worker Visa

Share This